Monday, January 17, 2011

The divorce debate

For those of you who aren't lucky enough to be maltese (condolences), Malta is one of the few countries where you can't get a divorce. Now lately there has been a few debates about it, they want to make it legal et cetera. So now we will probably have a referendum and all that.

So as usual we divide ourselves into two camps, and make unions. The "Pro-divorce" group unvieled their logo today - and its quite horrible.

For those of you who don't speak maltese, its "YES" For Divorce - For Marriage.
In my opinion this logo is a shot in the leg. The kid in the middle looks as if he's being fought over by the two families - and/or only going to see his mother/father from now on. Meh. Could have gone for something better. "Think of the children" doesn't work here.
Now my take on the divorce debate is quite simple. I am anti-divorce. And I'm not going to bother arguing about emotions, on a religious basis. I'm simply going to state this:

Divorce is useless. Marriage is becoming useless.

You got married. Congrats. You broke up. Sad for you. You found someone else. You can go live with him/her. You can perform sexual acts upon him/her. If you're of different genders, you can make kiddies with him/her. Did you need to be remarried? Nooooo.

Do you need to be married to perform these acts? Noooo.
Do I agree with this turn of events? No. Do I adapt? Yes.

What's the difference between cohabitating and remarrying? The tax break? Is that it? Its a bit silly to argue for marriage being more 'special' than cohabitation when you've just come out of one isn't it.

I know you don't agree with me. So please argue away.

The Llama

No comments:

Post a Comment