Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sampling, Plagerism and Crappy Music

Last time I had the (dis)pleasure of listening to one of the more popular tunes at this day. I kinda recognised the tune - which isn't amazing since the song is composed of this tune looped over and over again. At a further date I found the song I recognised, and discovered that this latest song had 'sampled' the song I remember.


Just today, I'm looking through the rubbish music my better half listens to, and I hear another tune I recognise, "Oh look, she's listening to "Video Killed the Radio Star" ". I was wrong. It was just part of that tune being looped over and over again while some one who couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag vocalised something.


Am I the only one who has a problem with this? 

For one - the part they ripped off will be the only attractive part of the song. So they are basically taking credit and money off someone else's work and effort. 

Secondly - their very meddling with the song produces a song which is usually less attractive/famous than the song they ripped it off.

Thirdly - These songs are often old. Both of the 'sampled' songs in the above case are 70s. So future generations would remember the catchy tune segment as being (wrongly) invented by the person who ripped it off

Fourthly - There is enough crappy music around. If you can't come up with anything new or be able to think for yourself (or get whoever writes the tunes to do it for you) - then you're in the wrong job.


I understand with using a few notes in order to play an homage to it. I also tolerate (to a certain point) - calling it [Original Song] Remix. Which at least directs people to the original song which you ripped off.


I still don't think people should be paid for adding some nonsensical lyrics to an already tried-and-true song segment.


Regards.


Llama

Added: Interesting Link Thanks to Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment