Tuesday, April 19, 2011

For Posterity...

(Or - How we're ruining the past for the future)

Unlike what you may think, this post isn't about divorce or anything else. Its about something else.

So, last time I was watching television (yeah really) and as I shot through the different channels, I spotted one showing "Tom and Jerry". Now I used to love that show when I was younger, so I decided to watch it. However instead of the happy memories of my childhood, I got to saw a CGI piece of rubbish which was totally different from what I was expecting.

This was a disappointment to me. And the problem is that it happens all too much. What this problem is, is simply that people are 'recreating', or 'remaking' popular tv shows or movies in the past, and trying to sell them again to us. The problem is of course, that generally this attempt is half-baked and its horrible.


Lets give another example. I love Star Trek. There are quite a few things I like about it, how 'scientific' it is, how deep and riveting the story is... et cetera. So when they pulled out a new "Star Trek" film a couple of years ago, they obviously kept the same theme. Wrooooong. It happened to be a generic "Action Movie" in space which was 'branded' with the star trek name. It conserved unimportant things like characters, but changed the style and the theme completely. While original star trek had logical and 'scientific' plots, this rubbish was about using red matter to create black holes to suck up supernovas which destroy galaxies.


So what happens in 10.. 20 years. You mention Star Trek to someone, and he'll automatically think about this film. The awesome series of the past has been 'wiped away' by the latest thing.


So why do they insist on ruining our childhood? Simple. Money. Brand Recognition. If you can start off with a popular franchise, you can get more interest, even if its rubbish. Yep, lets go for the quick buck. And its done constantly. Very few series' are safe from the quick buck.


I will end this post with one single, powerful proof. "Star Wars Prequels".


End of discussion.


Llama

No comments:

Post a Comment